Youth Facing Military Service

Alternatives to Military Service

  • Community Service. For information on federally-funded national service programs to perform community work and earn tuition money for college, contact Americorps, 1-800-942-2677,
  • College Aid Alternatives to the GI Bill. Use your high school guidance office or library to explore scholarship and loan options. The Federal Student Aid Information Center can help: 800-4FEDAID. For information on over 180,000 private sector scholarships, grants, fellowships and loans: Those who decide not to register for the draft may want to contact NISBCO on the question of alternatives to federal financial aid (see below).
  • Non-Military Work. Finding a full-time job with which to support yourself can be challenging. There are many types of jobs that contribute to the public good, from public interest advocacy and social service to positions in education, media, environment, and the arts. Trade unions are worth exploring, and many offer apprenticeship programs. The web, guidance offices, and libraries can provide you with a wealth of resources.
  • Volunteer Training. Many volunteer programs provide you with room, board and a small stipend in return for full-time work as a volunteer. Lutheran Volunteer Corps (LVC) offers opportunities for those over 21 to give a year of full-time urban service in a supportive community living situation. Contact LVC at 1226 Vermont Ave. NW, Wash., DC 20005. (202) 387-3222, or visit

For More Information:

National Interreligious Service Board for Conscientious Objectors (NISBCO)
1830 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. 20009-5732
(202) 483-2220

American Friends Service Committee
National Youth and Militarism Program
1501 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102
(215) 241 7176

War Resisters League
339 Lafayette St.
New York, NY 10012
(212) 228-0450

For more information, download Youth and the Military (PDF).